Read this week's
Colorado’s Last Great Ski Town
With no traffic lights or chain stores and people who openly celebrate life every day, the genuine nature of the community and the pristine surroundings immediately capture you.
The Gunnison Valley is one of the most beautiful, unspoiled rural areas in Colorado. However, this also means it's a bit out of the way. We think the trade-off is worth it, but make sure you are prepared to get here. The drive through the mountains is nothing short of extraordinary. Drive time from Denver is 4 hours, and a just under 4 hours from Colorado Springs.
Distance from major centers
- 30 miles/48 km North of Gunnison
- 230 miles/368 km southwest of Denver
- 90 miles/ 114 km northeast of Montrose
- 197 miles/315 km West of Colorado Springs
- Gunnison/Crested Butte Airport (GUC) (31 miles)
- Montrose Airport (MTJ) (96 miles)
- Shuttle Service from Gunnison or Montrose Airports, visit Alpine Express
Getting Around Once Here
Bus service is available throughout the valley. Check out the RTA bus schedule for more information http://gunnisonvalleyrta.org
Great options are available from Mt. Crested Butte to Gunnison and places in between. Many housing options are available in Mt. Crested Butte, in the town of Crested Butte, CB South ( 8 miles south of Crested Butte), Almont (18 miles south of Crested Butte) and Gunnison (30 miles south of Crested Butte). Crested Butte Mountain Resort facilitates housing for employees through private owners and managers. A room or studio will cost you anywhere from $300 - $800, depending on quality and location. If you have a group, apartments and houses generally run $1200 - $1800 for a 3 bedroom. Check out the following business and publications to find great area housing.
Townhome for Rent – 2B/2BA available at $1900/month plus gas/electric. Utilities that are included: wifi, cable, one car garage and washer/dryer. Located in Pitch Fork neighborhood in Mt. Crested Butte. NS/NP available 11/1/15 – 5/1/16. Contact: Susie Helmerich 303-909-6490
Wanderlust Hostel - (970) 901-1599. Short term rentals (1 month) & no guarantee of availability. This is a great option if you cannot find a place to live prior to your start date—with the understanding that housing must be found within a month. 221 N. Boulevard, Gunnison.
Three Rivers Resort – (970) 641-1303. Long term housing available from October-April. First, last and deposit required upfront. Pets are allowed for a fee of a non-refundable $150 and a deposit (total $300) for first pet, $150 for each additional. All leases end May 1, 2016. Rentals range in size & price, from $1200-$400 per month, contact Three Rivers Resort.
Sunshine Apartments – 970.641.2744. 1 & 2 bedroom apartments. 1B rent for $545 & 2B rent for $695. 12-month lease only. Location: 933 W. Denver Ave, Gunnison.
Water Wheel Inn – 970.641.1650. No Lease Agreements – flexible for seasonal workers. $30 per night per room (roommate brings down to $15) plus tax @ 8.5%. Daily housekeeping provided. Hot tub and breakfast provided each day. Shared kitchen area. 2 queens in large room, small fridge and microwave & private bath. Pet friendly ($5 per night additional) Location: 37478 Highway 50, Gunnison. Contact: Mary, 31 Day minimum stay.
Property Managment Companies:
- CB Lodging www.crestedbuttelodging.com
- Peak Properties www.peakcb.com
- Craig's List http://westslope.craigslist.org/
- Crested Butte News - www.crestedbuttenews.com
- The Gunnison Country Shopper - www.gunnisonshopper.com
- Craig's List - http://westslope.craigslist.org
Facebook – there are multiple pages/groups to like and join on Facebook when looking for housing in CB or Gunnison. They include:
- Gunnison Marketplace
- Gunnison Valley rentals
- Crested Butte Gear Exchange – not a lot of housing but sometimes there are posts
- Gunnison Valley Gear Swap – again, not a lot of housing but sometimes there are posts
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (970)349-4777 for a list.
We have free & inexpensive transportation! See options below.
General Moving Information
Once you have made the move you will need to get several things in order to get life in CB off to a great start. Check out this checklist of resources to help get things off on the right foot. The moving resources guide from our chamber of commerce can be found here.
- Clarks Market Crested Butte - http://www.clarksmarket.com/
- City Market Gunnison - http://www.citymarket.com/Pages/default.aspx
- Majestic Theatre Crested Butte - http://www.cbmajestic.net/
- KBUT community Radio - http://www.kbut.org/
If you need a place to stay when you first get to Crested Butte try the Crested Butte Int'l Lodge and Hostel. For more information call 888.389.0588 888 or visit www.crestedbuttehostel.com.