8 Great Restaurants Open This Spring!
Crested Butte is officially in the days of spring—where the weather gets particularly weather-y, jumping from one extreme to the next in a matter of minutes. We’re in the months of classic Colorado spring time confusion, where you layer up to be prepared for anything the day could hold, from sunny skies, to rain, and of course feet of snow. Spring time in the Rockies, though quiet, is an exciting time of year.
When the off-season hits, many stores and restaurants in Crested Butte shut their doors for spring cleaning and to let their employees stretch their legs in far off and warmer locations. So whether you’re visiting, or if you’re a local, you might find yourself on Elk Avenue with meal plans, only to be left standing on the sidewalk looking at closed signs, wondering where you’ll get your fill. Don’t fret, we’ve rounded up 8 great restaurants that are open in the off-season, so you won’t be left with a rumbling tummy on the sidewalk
1. McGill’s (Open 6:30am-3pm daily): A local’s breakfast diner favorite, serving classic American fare and cocktails. A perfect stop to fuel up for whatever your spring time adventure holds.
2. The Guild Café (Open 7am-3pm daily): Home to both First Ascent Coffee Roasters and Mountain Oven Organic Bakery at the top of Elk Ave., providing organic breakfast and lunch, sourdough breads, and single origin coffees (which are roasted on site). A quick stop for your espresso fix, and a delicious, and organic meal.
3. The Gas Café and One Stop (Open 6:30am- 9pm daily): Serving up quick and delicious breakfast and lunch sandwiches and burgers. The cure all, one stop shop for your morning (and hangover).
4. The Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pub (Open 11am-9pm daily): With 30 beers on tap, delicious pizza, huge salad bar and daily beer and cocktail specials, this is a great place to settle in during those inclement spring days. Or, if the weather is playing nice, and it’s bluebird skies, they’ll open up the patio bar, which is full service and has a great view of Elk Ave!
5. The Last Steep (Open 11am-11pm daily): One of Crested Butte’s favorite restaurants, which frequently wins the local’s favorite Bloody Mary, among other appetizing accolades. Whether you’re a family looking for a great atmosphere, with friends to watch the game, or are just looking for delicious salads, wraps, sandwiches, or burgers (or the best Blood Mary bar in the valley), you’ll find it at The Last Steep!
6. Pita’s in Paradise (Open daily 11am-9pm, happy hour 3pm-6pm): With one of the best happy hours in town, you can grab a drink, and nosh on their Greek, Mediterranean and American fare! With a big patio overlooking Elk Avenue, this is a great spot to enjoy that springtime sun!
7. The Secret Stash (Opens at 4pm for dinner during the week and 11am on weekends): A well-loved and iconic restaurant on Elk Avenue, if you need your fancy-pizza fix, this is the place to be. With a big salad bar, awesome cocktail menu and plenty of incredible pizzas and apps, you’ll be glad you stopped in.
8. Teocalli Tamale (Open 11am-9am): Another Crested Butte staple, these guys sling quick and incredible tacos, burritos, tamales and margs for lunch and dinner. And all during off-season, come in for the food, but stay for the 2 for 1 margarita special!
Please Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all the wonderful restaurants to enjoy in Crested Butte during spring time! It's always best to call or check business hours in advance, as hours are subject to change.